Tees Tigers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tees Tigers

Black and Gold....

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

AGM proposals.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tonksie

Tonksie

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:26 am

Hi all,

I cant make the AGM this year, sorry.

However i would be prepare to stand as one of the new polo rep positions.

I have been involved in the sport for 22 years now (yes really) and have a very grounded approach to all things canoeing. I have served on other canoe club committees previously and i looks like work is keeping me in the area for the mid-term future so i should be able to commit to the role.

Thanks.

I have also had a think and given a proposal to the committee regarding one of the main topics which I and others feel has upset the balance balance and harmony within the club. I hope this can be discussed at the AGM in my absence.

Proposal for team selection

Over the last couple of seasons there have been some issues raised around team selections and team selection philosophy.

My opinion is that the teams should be selected on merit and should strive to have an elite setup with the A team expected to be a better team than the B and subsequent teams. I also believe that the better players of any team have a firm understanding of what their team requires in order to improve performance.

With the proposed changes to the committee I would like to suggest an altered method of team selection for the national league season.

1. My proposal is for all paddlers who wish to be considered for selection to the teams to nominate themselves by a predetermined date.

2. The polo rep or reps would then be asked to suggest to the committee a core selection of 3 /4 players for the A team. I believe these selections would be fairly straight forward and non controversial.

3. The core of the A team would then be asked who they would like to select to fill the team up to 6 players depending on their proposed playing style and required strengths to maximise team performance.

4. The process would then be repeated for the B team by the polo rep suggesting a core of players from the remaining pool of registered players, and repeated until all national teams are full.

5. Should the club not have the required number of interested parties to form a team of 6 the committee will have to make a decision as to the validity of the team in regard to national league entry.

If anyone would like to discuss this proposal i will be avaliable until after the national league on saturday.

See you all soon

Tonksie
Back to top Go down
Nicky

Nicky

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks James for looking to take things forwards, but I am concerned that there are too many similarities between your suggestion and what went on last year. The core of the a-team was determined and then consultation went on between all a-team players and those to be considered to ensure that the most cohesive team was established. I am sure that all a-team players and those considered will attest that they were involved in the decision process throughout, however successful the final selection was...

The a-team put together this year was determined to work on some of the problems from the previous season and move forward productively. This process was criticised extensively and resulted in significant interventions and further complaint.

I am concerned that this proposal will not overcome last year's issues unless EVERYONE is happy to engage in the process and see it through.

I am also worried about the lower end of the club and developing young (and not so young!) paddlers. Looking at the current situation in the club. If there is a possibility of a c-team continuing, the upper teams can be formed on a minimum player basis with support from lower teams playing up.

If this can be supported for a season with a strong focus on developing the up and coming players, the club can continue to develop, and the recent contraction can be short lived. Without a focus on developing and new players, I am worried about what will transpire in the coming years.

Back to top Go down
Tonksie

Tonksie

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 8:04 am

Nicky

I wasnt on the A team last year so have no idea what discussions went on within the team, but as you know we had long discussions about the team selection philosophy for this year. I also know that some players arent happy with this years teams. I'd like to retain the clubs best players and build with their help.

I aggree its not massivley dissimilar but there are a few key differences.

I dont feel like i have the polo knowledge to say who should be in which team when it gets down to picking say position 6 in a team. But i can pick the best players out of a pool and ask them for their opinion as to who they feel would complete their team to maximise there potential.

What i'm suggesting would be a shift from 2 balanced teams to a more definitive structured approach. I expect one team to be stronger than the other and the A team to be pushing for promotion and the B team to be in a similar position to this year.

I would never select a team with less than 6 players. As the B team have found out this weekend things happen in life and players will be unavaliable for tournaments and back up must be avaliable. If we cant fill teams with 6 players at the start of the season can they be viable for the year ahead? I'd think not personally.

Development.

At the moment there are 5 paddlers who come to the training sessions from outside the A/B teams. The pool session has lost significant amounts this year due to poor attendace. During the winter pool time is limited and expensive. We have tried to focus the 1st hour on development of polo and the 2nd hour on a/b team training. As far as i understand it this has been fairly well received.

Moving into the outdoor sessions I dont think anyone has a problem with those wishing to improve attending any of the sessions provided as long as they are willing to listen and learn and give 100%.

With regard to attracting new paddlers into the polo side of the club people have to want to do it.

Darren has plenty of kids coming through the club slalom sessions but we haven't seen more than 2-3 paddlers with a continued interest in polo. This is not Darren's fault nor should he be expected to push anything other than slalom but we need a stratagey to attract more of these players to polo as well.

I'm not goint to tell anyone that they should choose one side of the sport over another and i understand that the kids have a very limited period of time as juniors in slalom and a good chunk of canoeing life after they turn 18. We haven't had many (if any) of this age group players come through the club since Matt, Sim, Scott, Chaz, and Ramz but they were all polo based anyway.

As a club we have a strong slalom presence at the moment and this looks set to continue with the good work of Darren and Yourself in developing the youth slalom set up. I'd like to see the good paddlers you produce being offered a chance to give polo a go but for younger paddlers its an awful lot to ask of parents to effectively support their child in 2 sports, and all the extra kit needed if you are any good.

Finally I know you have put a lot into the development of the whole club over the past years and I for one probably wouldnt be paddling now if not for you and Darren dragging me back into the fold. I would like to thank you for taking all the flack that came with team selections and the hassel that came with the head coach role.

Cheers

Tonksie
Back to top Go down
Nicky

Nicky

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 8:36 am

I don't see slalom as an issue, if this side of the club grows, so should polo and vice versa. The requirement of supporting both Slalom and polo as parents is somewhat of an anomaly, the club has lots of polo kit that isn't being used, therefore there is no requirement for parents to buy new equipment, unless they play in div 2.

The main limiting factor is as you've said whether anyone wants to do it... It is a similar arguement to sprint and wwr, where the club can provide the opportunity to try it, and then if there is a desire to continue, they can go out and get all of the gear. New youngsters and adults alike just need nurturing in a friendly environment...

With this in mind, I am putting together a strategy to develop canoe polo with the aim of having a youth team competing by the end of the summer... These paddlers need to be supported to ensure that they remain in the sport...
Back to top Go down
Friend of Andy Dancer

Friend of Andy Dancer

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:04 pm

I think this long term plan is something that needs to be discussed tonight as many including myself were under the impression you wanted nothing to do with trying to run, organise and structure the polo within the club anymore. we leads me to think there is going to be a lot of duplication of plans going on, instead of some sort of synergy of plans.

As for the family environment I think many will take that as slight back hander, as it is felt thats what we provide or at least do our best to do so.
Back to top Go down
Nicky

Nicky

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 11:42 pm

I hope that plans are more clear after this evening and that the discussions were fruitful.

I am not in a position to lead developments but happy to give input where requested and I do care a lot about the future of the club.

Nicky
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

AGM proposals. Empty
PostSubject: Re: AGM proposals.   AGM proposals. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

AGM proposals.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tees Tigers :: General Chat :: Chat and stuff-
Jump to: