Tees Tigers
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Tees Tigers

Black and Gold....

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Player interaction with Refs

Go down 
+2
Friend of Andy Dancer
ivanthorn
6 posters
AuthorMessage
ivanthorn

Player interaction with Refs Empty
PostSubject: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Hi,

Think this is the correct place to post this? If not, please feel free to move.

Apparently (we weren't there) there was a set-to at last Saturday's Div III. During this there was a lot of verbal from one player to a referee. Now, not saying that I and most of my team for that matter, haven't been guilty of this in the past, but it is surely time to stamp it out altogether.

The sanctions that ref's have have gone some way to address it, but, if a player is riled enough, then I think it is possible to scare the ref. The only real way to get respect into the game is if it comes from us players.

As such, I have today, imposed the rule with Morpeth polo that no-one excepting our team captain may speak to the referee at all. If there is a card, then the captain will go across and inform the player of what the referee is saying and so on. We, as a club, are in danger of indiscipline and I think this is a good idea to instill some.

The reason for posting this on TT website. Tomorrow we have a local league. I would like you to know how we will approach it, and would like to think you may be tempted to join in. to my mind, everybody wins.

Cheers all

Ivan
Back to top Go down
Friend of Andy Dancer

Friend of Andy Dancer

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 1:58 pm

I think this is a good idea however a problem with this plan occurs when a reff calls a player over to administer a card or warn a player. What will you do then?
Back to top Go down
ivanthorn

PostSubject: the ref calls for the captain   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 2:17 pm

Friend of Andy Dancer wrote:
I think this is a good idea however a problem with this plan occurs when a reff calls a player over to administer a card or warn a player. What will you do then?

Rather than call the player over, he calls the captain. If it is a card, then the player just gets the card; strictly speaking the ref is not responsible to tell the player, he can if he likes, just channel it.

The ref will indicate to the table what the card was for anyway.

Just a thought to see if we could trial tomorrow; hey at least trial it on us and see if we don't kick off for once? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Friend of Andy Dancer

Friend of Andy Dancer

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 8:18 pm

Just thinking it won't always work at tournaments but yea go for it Smile
Back to top Go down
Tonksie

Tonksie

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeFri Feb 12, 2010 11:26 pm

I think our captain will have to be very fit if he has to sprint from the goal line to the ref and back every time i get a card!! lol! Sorry Sim!

(but why not give it a go study )
Back to top Go down
Sim

Sim

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 12:53 am

Any card and you get off the water mate, sub and so on Smile
Back to top Go down
ivanthorn

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 4:20 am

Friend of Andy Dancer wrote:
Just thinking it won't always work at tournaments but yea go for it Smile

Yeah, know what you mean, won't be the easiest at first, but nothing ventured and so on.

Think we'll give it a shot, even if just us as a team as we could do with a little more discipline (speaking personally of course) and see what happens.

Anyone wants to join in, then cool. If not, then good control measure anyway.

See you lot tonight!

Toodle oooh
Back to top Go down
ivanthorn

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeSat Feb 13, 2010 4:24 am

Tonksie wrote:
I think our captain will have to be very fit if he has to sprint from the goal line to the ref and back every time i get a card!! lol! Sorry Sim!

(but why not give it a go study )

Actually, thinking it through again. If the player either a: doesn't commit a cardworthy foul or b: accepts the sanction whichever card is shown, then no need to speak to anyone. Obviously, if a trend of fouls or particularly dangerous one(s), then you would speak anyway. Just means directing this through the captain is all. Idea
Back to top Go down
ianD

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 12:35 pm

Sounds like Morpeth are putting something good in place. Rugby applies that rule and it works well.

As a team I know that Tigers tolerate 'NO' abuse to referees and it should be enforced by team captains.

Putting the shoe on the opposite foot I would say that anyone refereeing from Tigers should have a zero tolerance approach on abuse and in my opinion any abuse should be met with at least a yellow card. (obviously I would not count 'come on ref' as abuse).

I will discuss this with the rest of the committee and I hope we can confirm a unified approach on this.
Back to top Go down
Paulb

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitimeMon Mar 01, 2010 3:16 pm

I think it's a good idea, maybe it should be introduced at local league next year and give it a go, if it doesn't work we can scrap it next time.

It might work well the mouthy teams like newcastle uni.

Paul B
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Player interaction with Refs   Player interaction with Refs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Player interaction with Refs
Page 1 of 1